oh we talk bout skincare too no worries. i like the following:
- First Aid Kit Utra Repair Cream - esp for v v dry skin and eczema
- Origins Vitazing is pretty lovely too
- i think CeraVe is perfectly good too and it’s drugstore. i used it for years, it’s a great one to have in your arsenal. i just don’t like the pcakaging lol
- Aveeno is also a great drugstore option. I think I prefer it over CeraVe actually. it feels less thick? perhaps i am just being picky because CeraVe doesn’t actually feel heavy at all. This is my drugstore pick.
I don’t typically use moisturizer anymore (I use face oil as moisturizer) but I hope that helps!
I think they do sheet masks wonderfully. My favorite one is the Hydrogel Mask, a good option for winter. I think their blushers are adorable and make gifts too. I’m a sucker for the packaging. Their clay masks are nothing to write home about though. I don’t like their nail polish at all. Their Rice Water line is definitely worth trying out though. Next time I’m in Taiwan I’m hauling the entire line lol.
You are indeed correct that many gel moisturizers do not do a good job moisturizing. This could be because they contain hyaluronic acid, which is water binding. This can be good if it is drawing water from the environment but on some occasions it just draws your moisturizer from deep inside your skin. Kind of like a beauty product water vampire. Here’s more on that.
That being said, I totally love and have been happy with the effects of hyaluronic acid on my very dry skin and I have very dry sensitive skin in the winter. So sometimes I just stare at the science that goes against me and say NAHHHHHHHH.
But if you want to avoid it and think your gel moisturizers aren’t doing the trick, I can recommend Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Overnight Hydrating Masque. It’s more of your traditional cream, and it hyrates my skin so much that like, it tingles? But not unpleasantly, just like it’s forcing moisture in. That, combined with Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream (a daily moisturizer) your skin should be good. I honestly skip daily moisturizer sometimes and just use an overnight masque and I’m okay. I recommend both these products to my friends with severe dry skin and eczema.
Bio Oil is not a cleanser. I mean there is oil cleansing but you can also be using oils as serums or treatments. Bio Oil is not gonna be an effective cleanser. Consider it more of a after-cleansing serum. Here is what I do when I cleanse, feel free to substitute with your products:
- I remove all my makeup using a wipe (Simple is great and cheap!! I just use MAC because it gets rid of heavy duty stuff effortlessly) and eye makeup remover, if I’m wearing any. ******Half the time, I don’t do this, but I’ve been breaking out near my hairline which tells me this step is necessary for thoroughness.
- I wash my hands, then use Tatcha One-Step Camellia Oil in downwards and outwards motions from the inner part of my face outwards. Massaging it in. I do this for at least a minute, just being thorough. This does remove makeup as well as cleanse.
- Wash that with warm water, then with cold.
- Then I tone my face. I don’t use cotton pads for this, I splash it onto my face and pat it in.
- Then I use buffering lotion on my acne.
- Then I use another oil as night serum! I use Artemis, but you can use Bio Oil. If I don’t wanna use an oil for some reason I really like the results I’m getting from Bioelements Urban Detox. It’s 1/3 the price of Artemis, too.
So you see I use an oil to cleanse and then I use an oil as a serum. The cleansing oil is really more of a dry oil and not like EVOO or something, and Bio Oil is more of your oily…oil. I know you can formualte your own cleansing oils tho, I just have no interest lol. I hope that helps!
Yep — I like to use the following:
- Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Peel Off Mask - $4.99 - I wrote about this in a piece for Teen Vogue. It really helped me from picking my skin. They have several peel off masks for less than $5!
- REN Radiance Renewal Glycol Lactic Peel - $55 - I think REN products are pretty fantastic. This is my favorite from the brand. They are sometimes Sephora Insider Samples? If it’s an option, definitely pick it.
- FOREVER21 also sells one-use peeloff masks for $1.
- Queen Helene, my favorite drugstore face mask brand, sells one too, for about $3.49.
There you are! Plenty of affordable options for ya that are really fun and useful.
READER FOTD: Submitted by rachelgarcialove <3
Chemical exfoliants like AHA/BHA’s work best, imo.
- REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask -
A bunch of different acids that chemically exfoliate. You leave it on for ten minutes so it can sink in. A lot of other chemical exfoliants like the Murad one (see below) are traditional scrubs just with nominal amounts of AHA properties in them. Scrubbing for like half a minute and washing the product down is a waste of product. You gotta let it work. Plus it has a bunch of natural oils to promote cell turnover. It’s surprisingly gentle even though it’s a “chemical” exfoliant. Don’t let the name intimidate you.
All this talk about skin oils from Arabelle reminded me of this company that’s pretty popular for their skin oils. I may have talked about them before but in case I haven’t, the website is GardenofWisdom. Though the website leaves a lot to be desired, their skincare is pretty popular with a forum I follow.
Their chemical exfoliants (AHAs, BHAs, etc) also have a pH listed which is always good since too high or low of a pH makes the AHAs or BHAs less effective.
Most of the oils are unrefined so they will be a little smelly.
The products are inexpensive enough that they’re worth try before jumping in and making a huge purchase. They also offer a few samplers of their cleansing oils too.
Give them a scope!
- Reblogged from maimaimaiii