Hi PD~! This is an unfortunately belated review for the NYX Jumbo Pencils I purchased quite a while ago from Ulta. The NYX Jumbo Pencils in Bronze (620), Pure Gold (621A), Electric Blue (622A) and Milk (604) (at Ulta | ~$4 to $5) are described as easy-to-use, creamy and blendable eye pencils that can both be used as an eyeliner and an eyeshadow. In my experience, it excels in some areas and comes up short in others. （＾ｖ＾） （＾ｕ＾） （＾◇＾）
One thing I don’t particularly like about this packaging is how flimsy the cap for the pencil is. I remember when I was shopping for these products, almost all of the caps had tiny cracks in them in store. Besides, I don’t grab for these a lot and they still all broke. :C Maybe it was a bad batch but it would be nice if it was studier plastic.
Above, I took swatches in both direct sunlight and with flash. …they’re so pretty! Milk is amazing as a base color for pressed or loose eyeshadow colors you really want to be vibrant.
What I like about the Jumbo Pencils:
- Great color variety at a good price point - perfect for someone who is trying to build their makeup collection without breaking the bank
- Makes a great base for eyeshadows - especially Milk as I mentioned before
- Blendable and creamy - to use it as an eyeliner, I usually use a flat eyeliner brush with the product and it’s easy to use it in that manner
What I don’t like about the Jumbo Pencils:
- Will crease on oily lids - there is no two ways about it, if you don’t use a primer before using this product, it will crease within two to three hours if you have oily lids
- Can smudge and/or transfer - again, this might be a oily lid only plight, but if the product does not have time to set, it can smudge and transfer around the eye area. also, it does not work as a waterline/undereye eyeliner. at all. no staying power in my experience.
A couple things to consider:
- You’ll have to buy a pencil sharpener that has a ‘jumbo’ hole so you can sharpen the pencils. The sharpeners are easy to find and purchase - NYX sells a sharpener for example.
- To minimize product waste, try freezing/chilling the pencils before sharpening.
Do I recommend the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils? Absolutely! Even with the noticeable shortcomings of the product, I still think that for the price, they are a great deal and an easy way to introduce new colors and textures into anyone’s makeup collection. (I am interested in the Milani version of these pencils though…I’ve heard that the staying power and pigmentation on those pencils are amazing, on par or even better than the NYX pencils. :O )