I still listen to the Galliano fw2008 soundtrack when I’m putting on my furs because it made such an impression on me in high school. I care more about the makeup than I do about the clothes now though.
i’m still obsessed and possessed by the beauty schemes at John Galliano SS11, I am going to makeup myself in it’s vision until I get sick of it and never want to see another witchy russian doll eyebrow ever again, you have all been warned.
- Isabella Rossellini as Alla Nazimova
- Tina Turner as Cleopatra
- Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis
- Gwenyth Paltrow as James Dean
- Gina Gershon as Sophia Loren
- Alex Peruzzi as Linda Evangelista
"Beauty is about perception, not about make-up. I think the beginning of all beauty is knowing and liking oneself. You can’t put on make-up, or dress yourself, or do you hair with any sort of fun or joy if you’re doing it from a position of correction. Makeup should be fun, not fascist."
Martha Stewart as Veronica Lake by Kevyn Aucoin
I did a tutorial on this look over at Rookie, have fun trying it it was so much fun to do!!!
Haven’t done quicksnap reviews in awhile so here ya go. I’ve been trying out these products for a few weeks now and here are my thoughts. Full disclosure: all of them were sent for editorial consideration either by the brands, by PR, or by VOGUE. This does not impact my opinions on the products.
I’m really bummed about the MJ lipgloss though. I think his brushes are spectacular, and I enjoy just fluffing them over my face when I’m bored.
Maybelline has launched Limited Edition shades of their Great Lash Mascara for August in 6 new shades: Green With Envy, I See Blue, So Very Berry, Teal Appeal, Vision in Violet, and Wink of Pink.
These shades will only be available for the month of August and will retail for $6.40 — easily the most affordable colored mascaras readily available on the market. I literally just got these press samples this morning (thank you very much Jennifer!), I wanted to give you the heads up that these should be out now and won’t be around for long so get them while you can if you’ve been wanting to try out colored mascaras without breaking the bank!
Will be testing them out tomorrow for pigmentation etc and get back to you on the specs.
Trying to think up unique content for PD using products I already have — shopping my closet, if you will. So I thought I’d introduce a new series— PD Favorites. Every so often, I’ll go through everything I own or have sampled from a brand and introduce you to them. I’m starting with Urban Decay because they were the first makeup brand I purchased from, and I have most of their products. I also have a lot of favorites! And I’ve visited their headquarters, which is beautiful.
- Urban Decay Eye Primer ($20) - I feel like this is probably in the makeup stash of any makeup fanatic at one point or another, and with good reason! It’s fantastic. Specifically: it’s a good primer for my eyelids. If you have oily eyelids, not so much, there are others out there. I’ve gone through many genie bottles of this stuff.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadows in Chopper and SWF ($18) - I’ve swatched these both here (and many more of UD’s singles. I dunno, whenever I want a subtle, pretty eye makeup look, I turn to these. I feel like they are very versatile and flattering on all skintones, are buildable, smooth, etc. Out of all their shadows, I like these the best to balance out a pop of color.
- Urban Decay Super Saturated High Gloss Lip Color in Crush and Punch Drunk ($19) - When these came out, I literally wore these two colors to work like, every day for months. That’s a big deal for me because I will happily wear a different lipstick every day for months and have no loyalty at all. Moisturizing, super pigmented, glossy. They’re always in my makeup bag.
- Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in 69 and Anarchy ($22) - I reviewed them recently here, not much to add to that. I think these are my favorite lipsticks I’ve tried in months if not a year or so. I am a LIPSTICK FREAK and have many favorites, so that’s saying a lot.
- Urban Decay Palettes in Fun, Naked Basics, and 15th Anniversary ($36, $27, N/A because L/E) - I’ve got many of their palettes, these are my favorite. I like them for different reasons: fun has a perfect blend of colors to me that I can mix and match for colorful looks and it’s super cute, NAKED Basics is my favorite neutral everyday palette and I use it pretty much constantly, and the 15th Anniversary Palette is both eye candy, and a great palette to keep in my dorm and to leave the rest of my palettes at home, since it has a BUNCH of different colors and it’s own mirror. Most people who like UD probably have a Naked Palette, I think, and I have them, but I prefer matte finish eyeshadows so this particular palette was always going to be my favorite and it was worth the wait for me personally. I do wish they had it in more shades (I.E for a larger range of skintones) though.
- Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush ($25) - I dunno what it is about this brush but it makes even powder instantly like, full coverage and blend in my makeup perfectly. It’s the best brush I’ve used for buffing in my makeup and it’s super soft, gorgeous (I like my makeup brushes to have some heft in them) and feels really luxurious. Now, I have brushes across all price points, but this is my favorite out of all of them.
There you have it! I hope, if you’ve been curious as to which products to try out from this particular brand, that you have more of an idea now. let me know if you have any questions. To clarify, this isn’t a sponsored post, I’m not getting paid to push these products, though some of them were sent to me to try out. They are my genuine favorites and I hope if you try them out yourself you’ll fall in love with them as well!
My (Semi) Recent Purchases
Hi lovely followers! Recently, both of us have slowed down our general beauty purchases for various reasons, making our haul posts few and far between. However, I quite enjoy making haul posts, so here’s what I have purchased over the last three months.
Essence I <3 Extreme Volume Mascara | $4.99 | link: I am constantly on the hunt for mascara I actually like, but I heard great things about this one so I bought it at Ulta. If you have any suggestions for mascara, both of us are looking for good ones. Nice volume and decent length would be nice.
Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume & Curl Mascara | ~$12 | link: Speaking of recommendations, a wonderful reader recommended that both Arabelle and I try this brand of mascara because she really liked it, so when I went to a Japanese supermarket and saw it, I purchased it! At enormous markup but it was completely worth it; the product I’m looking forward to trying most out of everything here. Isn’t the packaging cute?
Sana Super Quick Gel Pencil Eyeliner | ~$12 | link: This was an impulsive purchase but one can never have enough black eyeliner so it’s completely justified.
Bobbi Brown SPF 15 Tinted Moisturizer in Deep Tint | $42 | link: Repurchased my favorite summer base product since my entire collection of drugstore foundations were breaking me out. Just enough coverage for my acne scars but light on the skin and good lasting power with a finishing powder.
Etude House Sun Prise Natural Corrector SPF 42 PA ++ | ~$11 | link: I wanted to try a new sunscreen so I decided on this one, which is supposed to act as a makeup base as well as a sun protectant. This does leave a cast on the skin, which slowly adjusts to your skintone. As an African-American, I was very surprised that it actually adjusted darker, but it needs time. This product + powder and concealer would make a great light makeup base. However, I think this breaks me out. A tad heartbroken.
Etude House Sun-Prise Water Essence Gel SPF 30 PA++ | ~$11 | link: I gravitate towards Asian sunscreens since they don’t break me out and they are better for my skin with no white cast. I purchased this from Gmarket along with the other sunscreen pictured above! I haven’t used this one yet but I think I’ll like it because it looks like the newer version of the sunscreen I used last summer – mentioned here.
Glycolix Elite Gly-Sal 5 Percent-2 Percent Pads | $16.40 | link: My skin had been reacting to absolutely everything I was using, so I decided to stop using all of my skincare for about a month except a light moisturizer, and then try something new for my acne. Found this product, and from two weeks of use, I must say I like this. Works well for my skin and my active breakouts are almost gone.
What have you purchased recently, lovely followers? Comment on the post using Disqus! o/ See you soon and as always, leave a comment or an ask if you would like a review.
Favorites of 2012 - Chi-Chi Edition
Hello lovely PD followers! Even though the post is a tad late since we’re getting into the later part of January, we wanted to share with your all our favorite products from 2012. Here are my choices and the reasons why - some of the products are not included in the pretty widget, but all of the links are down below!
Personal Microderm (PMD) | $179 | link: Arabelle gave me this beauty tool a while ago because she a wonderful person and knew how frustrated I was getting with my acne scarring. My acne scarring was really dark and covered both of my cheeks completely – and this has helped immensely. By no means is my scarring gone, but my skin is the best it has been since middle school, and that’s an amazing feeling. I use the red disks (coarse grit), which works best for my skin.
Dior ‘Diorsnow D-NA Reverse’ White Reveal Night Concentrate | $145 | link: I bit the bullet and purchased this from Sephora during their VIB sale last October because I was at my wits end on finding a topical treatment for my acne scarring that did not contain hydroquinone. Trying every drugstore product for scarring with absolutely no results, I must say, and this pains me because this means I’m going to repurchase this, I adore this serum. For my new scars, it fades almost immediately, and it’s slowly working on my scarring that I have had since high school. This is legitimately the only product I have seen work on my scarring and one of the best purchases I made in 2012.
La Femme Blushes | ~$3 each | link: These blushes are amazing. I purchased them earlier in 2012 from makeupmania and posted about them here. The colors are insanely pigmented (the lightest hand is needed for application) and last on my oily/combination skin until I want to take them off. Are they something I would recommend to someone just started out with blush – no, because it is very easy to overapply because of their pigmentation. However, for someone who loves blush and wants to expand their collection, try these out!
MUA Heaven and Earth Eyeshadow Palette | £4.00 | link: This is known as one of the Urban Decay Naked 1 dupes, which I own. However, I love neutral shadows and need to own all of them, so I purchased this anyway. I grab for this more than my Naked 1; I find that the shadows blend easier on my lids, and they last longer on my lids without primer than the Naked 1 shadows.
Kose Softmyo Deep Cleansing Oil | ~$10-15 | 1 | 2 | 3: Both Arabelle and I have talked about this product at length and we even did a review on it professing our love. Is there anything more to say at this point – this product is a godsend.
Mario Badescu Silver Powder | $12 | link: Also mentioned this in a skincare recommendation post previously, and I still feel the same way. For the amount of good it does for my skin and pores, it is ridiculously affordable. After using it twice a week for a couple months, I noticed that to keep blackheads at bay, I only need to use it once a week now. Completely worth every penny.
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant | $19.95 | link: This is the only product I use to control potential breakouts and it works wonderfully. I stopped using my prescription acne medication completely because of how well this product works for my skin and my needs. On the Paula’s Choice website it claims to do a lot more things than I have experienced, such as smoothing for firmer skin (I have not experienced this in over 7 months of use). However, it stops my acne in its tracks, which is what I use it for, and I could not be happier.
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Tipsy | $25 | link: This is my go-to year round blush color that makes me look awake, happy and refreshed all at the same time, regardless of how I actually feel. Easy to blend, pigmented and lasts for quite a long time, especially in the humid summer, which is when I purchased the product in 2012. And I adore the color – I absolutely love coral everything.
Essential RICH PREMIER Ultra Honey Mask | ~$8-10 | 1 | 2: One of my first beauty buddies Charmaine recommended this to me…a really long time ago and I finally purchased it. It’s wonderful my hair feels rejuvenated, light, airy and moisturized yet not oily, which is rare for my natural hair. I attribute this to the continued health of my natural hair. I use it once every two weeks for deep conditioning and it works wonders.
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Pink Truffle | $6-9 | link: Whenever I can’t decide what lip color to choose to compliment the eye look I was wearing, I grab this. It’s one of favorite my lips but better lipsticks and I use it when I go to interviews as well for a great business-appropriate look. My favorite color of the lip butters I own, which I swatched here and here.
Dickinson’s Original Witch Havel Oil Controlling Astringent | $5.99 | link: The best toner for my skin during the summer months – controls oil wonderfully, leaves my face moisturized, and is affordable since it goes on sale a lot. It’s also helped change the overall oiliness of my face long-term – I am not as oily in my T-Zone as I used to be, so this has definitely helped. Finally, it helps control my acne. What’s not to like?