Trying to think up unique content for PD using products I already have — shopping my closet, if you will. So I thought I’d introduce a new series— PD Favorites. Every so often, I’ll go through everything I own or have sampled from a brand and introduce you to them. I’m starting with Urban Decay because they were the first makeup brand I purchased from, and I have most of their products. I also have a lot of favorites! And I’ve visited their headquarters, which is beautiful.
- Urban Decay Eye Primer ($20) - I feel like this is probably in the makeup stash of any makeup fanatic at one point or another, and with good reason! It’s fantastic. Specifically: it’s a good primer for my eyelids. If you have oily eyelids, not so much, there are others out there. I’ve gone through many genie bottles of this stuff.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadows in Chopper and SWF ($18) - I’ve swatched these both here (and many more of UD’s singles. I dunno, whenever I want a subtle, pretty eye makeup look, I turn to these. I feel like they are very versatile and flattering on all skintones, are buildable, smooth, etc. Out of all their shadows, I like these the best to balance out a pop of color.
- Urban Decay Super Saturated High Gloss Lip Color in Crush and Punch Drunk ($19) - When these came out, I literally wore these two colors to work like, every day for months. That’s a big deal for me because I will happily wear a different lipstick every day for months and have no loyalty at all. Moisturizing, super pigmented, glossy. They’re always in my makeup bag.
- Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in 69 and Anarchy ($22) - I reviewed them recently here, not much to add to that. I think these are my favorite lipsticks I’ve tried in months if not a year or so. I am a LIPSTICK FREAK and have many favorites, so that’s saying a lot.
- Urban Decay Palettes in Fun, Naked Basics, and 15th Anniversary ($36, $27, N/A because L/E) - I’ve got many of their palettes, these are my favorite. I like them for different reasons: fun has a perfect blend of colors to me that I can mix and match for colorful looks and it’s super cute, NAKED Basics is my favorite neutral everyday palette and I use it pretty much constantly, and the 15th Anniversary Palette is both eye candy, and a great palette to keep in my dorm and to leave the rest of my palettes at home, since it has a BUNCH of different colors and it’s own mirror. Most people who like UD probably have a Naked Palette, I think, and I have them, but I prefer matte finish eyeshadows so this particular palette was always going to be my favorite and it was worth the wait for me personally. I do wish they had it in more shades (I.E for a larger range of skintones) though.
- Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush ($25) - I dunno what it is about this brush but it makes even powder instantly like, full coverage and blend in my makeup perfectly. It’s the best brush I’ve used for buffing in my makeup and it’s super soft, gorgeous (I like my makeup brushes to have some heft in them) and feels really luxurious. Now, I have brushes across all price points, but this is my favorite out of all of them.
There you have it! I hope, if you’ve been curious as to which products to try out from this particular brand, that you have more of an idea now. let me know if you have any questions. To clarify, this isn’t a sponsored post, I’m not getting paid to push these products, though some of them were sent to me to try out. They are my genuine favorites and I hope if you try them out yourself you’ll fall in love with them as well!
I’ll break em down by category, since I have a lot:
- Butterball ($4.95) - vanilla bomb. I usually combine this with a bath melt.
- Avobath ($6.25) - the FIZZY APPLE GREEN SPECTACULAR!!! I wasn’t drawn to it for months but then I saw what it did in store finally and had to have it.
- Phoenix Rising ($6.95) - This is my fav lush product. I always have at least one in my house. 4ever.
- Floating Island ($7.95) - Use this in combination with Butterball. Trust me on this.
I’m not giving prices on the soaps ‘cause I get several slivers in store….you can get it cut by how much you wanna pay.
I don’t use the skincare or makeup though, not religiously, anyway. And the rest of my favorites are Limited Editions. Hope that helps. :)
What a big question! I think it depends on the technique you prefer more than anything else, really. Some people prefer using paddle type brushes, and others, fluffier brushes, and still others, stippling brushes. Personally, I use Urban Decay’s Optical Blurring Brush or the MAC 187. Both provide a flawless finish, though I notice the MAC 187 sheds more, but the UD one takes longer because it is more dense and a smaller brush in general.
Cheaper (but still very lovely) alternatives would be the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush which is soft. I really like all of the face brushes in the RT line, they’re soft, sturdy, don’t shed and are great to hold and are very precise (they’re not too big).
Sure thing! It depends on what drugstore you’re in, if you can get to an ULTA while you’re visiting, definitely go there because there will be more brand selection from both drugstore to luxury brands and they’ll have harder to locate products. Keep an eye out for NYX, Milani, Wet n’ Wild, Revlon and Maybelline specifically. Here are some products we’re both way into right now:
Eyes Wise: The drugstore creem eyeshadows are definitely interesting — pick up some L’Oreal ones, and try out Wet n’ Wild 6-pan eyeshadow palettes, too. Wet n’ Wild also has great, cheap liquid eyeliner, as does Milani. And L’Oreal has some great mascaras.
Cheek Wise: Skipping foundation because neither of us are fans of any drugstore base makeup products at the moment (our faces, unfortunately, break out whenever we try any new formulations from the drugstore…). However, there are plenty of nice blushes and bronzers. Keep an eye out for Maybelline Limited Edition Baked Blushes and grab ‘em if you can, and if you see a NYX stand — definitely grab up some blushes.
Lips Wise: There are so many great drugstore lipsticks out right now, really you’d be hard pressed to find a poor formulation. I find myself most loyal to Revlon colors, but Wet n’ Wild has stepped up their lipstick game too, and there are a bunch of new Maybelline colors released because of summer. So honestly, try out whatever you want!! I Here are some of our longtime favorites.
One of the most common questions we get is about concealers so I thought I’d do a quick roundup of our favorites. Chi-Chi and I both use mid-range to high end face products, so there is only one drugstore concealer here, but it’s quite a nice one and holds it’s own against concealers twice or even three times the cost. Here they are, for your perusal:
Honorable mentions: Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer (specifically for under-eye area) as well as the Graftobian Concealer palettes (a comparable, and more affordable version of the MUFE palette — it’s just harder to find, which is why it’s not included in the roundup).
Actually, if you want to invest in any concealer palettes for your kit or otherwise, I think Graftobian is the way to go. They have so many different ones depending on your shade range and if you want to color correct or specifically conceal, it’s pretty great. It’s also cheaper than the MUFE one, although I don’t know if the shipping costs would cancel that out.
So! What concealers are your faves? Drugstore recommendations? Have you tried these and utterly loathed them? Let us know in the comments (we have DISQUS enabled).
Some of these links are affiliate links, so we get commission if you purchase through them (less than 10%, so literally pennies). This does not impact our reviews of the products and all products mentioned here were purchased with our own money.
Might be? GURL DON’T KID YOURSELF you need a haircut! This is fine though, it happens to the best of us. It sounds like your hair is damaged — destroyed — and needs to be trimmed. Products don’t cure dead hair, you feel me? You need to cut off the dead, frizzed out stuff so your hair can grow out healthier. Products aren’t miracles, they deposit nutrients etc temporarily but they are by no means surgery for dead hair follicles…. think of it as wash out elmer’s glue when you’re hoping for miracle growth.
But: here is what I use on my colored hair at the moment:
- Wella Brilliance Shampoo for Fine/Normal Color Treated Hair - ($13) I switched to the Wella line after getting kind of bored with L’Oreal’s Sulfate Free line. The L’Oreal line is great, but also I feel like my hair gets heavy with product quite quickly now particular now that it’s so much shorter, and that weight makes my hair feel greasy faster. This makes my hair feel lighter, and it’s specifically formulated for color treated hair.
- Wella Brilliance Conditioner for Fine / Normal Color Treated Hair - $14 - This is the only conditioner I’ve been bothering with lately because my hair doesn’t need any extra hair masks at the moment, because it’s pretty healthy (I’ve been letting it grow out). In combination with the shampoo, I feel like my hair is moisturized and shiny and healthy and lightweight to the point where I don’t need to add anything extra.
- John Freida Frizz-Ease Serum - $8.99 - Post shower, I run a pea sized amount of this through the ends to prevent breakage. I haven’t gotten my hair cut in about…. 2 months? A month and a half? Idk. No split ends yet and I use heat every week.
- Arrojo Styling Whip - $18 - I go to Arrojo for cuts and get products comp’d (including this one) and I’ve compared it to other mousses, this just is so much lighter and not as tacky. I hate sticky hair products, it feels gross. This absorbs super fast and has Argan Oil in it so A+.
- Arrojo Dry Shampoo - $22 - I switched from the Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo to this because the BnB one has a distinct smell and I’d rather not have the fragrance. But like, dry shampoo is kind of whatever, the $4 cans you get at drugstores are perfectly adequate. I think the packaging to this is super pretty haha.
For past hair routines & recommendations you can always go through the hair tag!
Chi-Chi’s Recent Favorites
Hello darlings! I wanted to share some of my favorites that I’ve purchased relatively recently - new products are wonderful y/y?
- OPI Natural Nail Strengthener | $9: This is the saving grace of my nails - my nails are quite fragile and soft, and this product has made strong enough to grow consistently!
- Avon Ultra Luxury Eye Liner in Black Flash | $6: This is rivaling my love for the Tarina Tarantino liners mentioned here - creamy, takes a bit to set, does not move on my oily lids. Very black and quite shiny (Avon should make a matte version - would purchase!)
- Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder in Deep | $9.99: This is a wonderful, soft powder that sets most of my foundations nicely, including my cream and liquid foundations.
- Wet n Wild Fergie Eyeshadow Primer | $4.99: Pretty much this is the only eyeshadow primer other than NARS Pro Prime Smudgeproof Base that works on my oily lids. Has the consistency similar to that of UDPP (but works better because UDPP does nothing for me).
- Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in Dark Beige (12) | $32: This concealer is hard to work with under the eyes; however, it does not move on after it sets until you want it to move. I’m…in love.
- Maybelline Blush in Coral Burst (from the Spring 2013 LE collection): I saw Muse’s review of this blush and determined that I must have it because it looked absolutely beautiful. Then I bought it and it exceeded expectations so I went back and bought a backup. i regret nothing
What have you been loving recently? Comment with your current favorites - we’re always open for recommendations! <3 o/~
Some of these links are affiliate links, which means if you purchase them, we’ll get a small commission — less than 10%. These aren’t advertisements and are products we actually like and use though. Read more about our disclosure practices here. ^__^
Ge 20% off Drugstore.com’s beauty department! No code necessary (just click the link), ends 3/8. If you see a message that says it cannot be combined with another offer, you’ll need to delete your cookies for Drugstore.com. I’ll make a quick post of my fave drugstore products before the offer ends so if you’re curious what to get you’ll have some pointers. Leave a comment with your faves and we can all help each other out. :)
Behold — my top 12 picks from Drugstore.com’s gigantic arsenal of beauty products. Brushes, hair masks, lipstick, nail products — these are all things i’ve tried and loved and used on the daily (with the exception of the IMAN BB Cream, since it’s too dark for me, but I am dying to hear how it is!) Are you getting anything from the sale? Have you tried any of these products?
- Reblogged from powderdoom