Ohai PD! Here’s my review of the YSL Rouge Pure Couture Vernis à Lèvres (YSL Glossy Stain) in No. 11 Rouge Gouache - $32 USD for 0.20 oz. The YSL Glossy Stains are described as a revolutionary new lip products that combines “the texture and shine of a gloss with the long-wear of a stain.” As you might be able to tell by the pictures of the packaging and the swatches, this is a very pigmented, bright ‘true’ red that runs a tad cool-toned. It reminds me of a more toned-down holiday red (for reference, what I consider a holiday red is the now discontinued Chanel Dragon Rouge Allure Lacque - Temptalia has beautiful pictures of the color here).
A couple things I like about this product:
- The formula: When I tried the glossy stain at the counter, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t sticky. I have a problem with sticky glosses to the point where I cannot deal with sticky formulas regardless of the color - anyway. This isn’t sticky! It glides on the lips effortlessly, and the bent doe foot applicator makes even application quite simple. I usually apply my first coat of gloss, wait a bit, and then reapply to get that huge pop of color.
- The stain: …this product stains almost immediately. When I swatched a couple of colors at the counter, I went to try a couple other products before taking off the swatches. I had color residue for every single color that I swatched. The same thing happens on my lips; after five to six minutes, even if the gloss somehow wears off (it takes about six hours on me to wear off a tad - the picture of me wearing the glossy stain is after nine hours, so the top lip is a tad less glossy than the bottom one), it gives a great, even stain on the lips. Did I mention even? You know that awkward ring of stain around the lips some lip stains leave after a couple hours? No such thing with this product. Major <3 for that.
- The packaging: If you’ve been following PD for a while, you might know that both Arabelle and I are suckers for good packaging. …I mean look at it, the gold top with the YSL logo, the sleek black body with the little clear strip so you can see the color. It’s pretty okay.
A couple things I do not like about this product:
- The price: It’s 32 USD. Do I think it’s worth the money? Yes. Am I happy that it’s so expensive even though I adore everything about the product? NO. :| A very minor thing to harp on, but with so many other lip lacquers popping up at lower price points, the price definitely limits how many colors I will eventually own.
- Another minor point, but the first couple times I tried to use the product, I found myself overapplying, leaving way too much extra product on the lips. I said previously that the doe foot applicator makes it easy to apply evenly, but it’s quite possible to apply too much product evenly. My advice - a little goes a long way.
Do I recommend? YES YES YES YES BUY ALL DA COLORS. It’s a wonderful formula, will last you quite a while (I’ve used this off and on for a month and half and have not made even close to a dent), and comes in a variety of beautiful colors. Easy to build up for a bright lip and easy to leave slightly sheer for a slightly sheer wash of color.